Here’s all of the best and most interesting rock climbing stuff that happened over the last week. Enjoy, and happy climbing!
- 8c (5.14b) flash and 8c+ (5.14c) 2nd go by Kim Jain at UK Climbing
- British First Ascents in Miyar Valley: Report at UK Climbing
- South Korea
- Hymn, another ~8C (V15) first ascent by Chon Jongwon at UK Climbing
- Charles Albert Sends New V15 Climbing Barefoot at Gripped (See also UK Climbing.)
- La cicatrice de l’ohm, ~8B trav(?) by Melissa LeNevé at UK Climbing
- Russians win Golden Axe for Moveable Feast on Thalay Sagar at Alpinist
- Jour de chasse, ~8C (V15), by Alban Levier at UK Climbing
- New Hard Route on Eiger by Tom Ballard and Marcin Tomaszewski at Gripped (See also Planet Mountain and UK Climbing.)
- Learn This: Move Fast in Moderate Terrain at Climbing
- Failure to sleep 8hrs = failure to train by Dave MacLeod
- Sprinter Van Heater and Stove by Steph Davis
- 12 Tips to a Successful Bouldering Strategy at Moja Gear
- Dirtbag Tricks: How to Make a Stick Clip for Rock Climbing at Moja Gear
- Having Trouble Motivating to Train Alone? Try This Tactic! by Alli Rainey
- A Simple Shoulder-Saving Exercise Every Climber Should Do! by Natasha Barnes
- The Unsung Benefits of Yoga for Climbing (and 4 Yoga Sequences for Climbers) at Training Beta
- Unbelayvable: A Surprise Visitor at Climbing
Other Climbing Articles
- When Do Aid Climbs Stop Being Aid Climbs? at Evening Sends
- A climber’s responsibility at For the Love of Climbing
- (On Bear’s Ears) Dear Sally Jewel, by Chris Kalman at The Climbing Zine
Destinations and Routes
- A Mixed Bag of Nuts – Canada’s Top Mixed Routes at Gripped
- Of Ghosts and Gracks: On Becoming a Yosemite Climber at Moja Gear
- Close Calls On Japanese Ice With Will Gadd at Arc’teryx
- The German Way: Sonnie Trotter and Alex Megos in Frankenjura and Elbsanstein at Climbing
- Lost in Tokyo: Traveling and Climbing in Japan at Climbing
Good New Climbing Videos
- Dynos [3:10] – Fun little video showing nothing but big dynos on boulder problems.
- David Mason in the Grampians [8:40] – A simple video showing British climber David Mason bouldering in the Grampians. Here is another, very similar video featuring Mina Leslie-Wujastyk.
- CORONA [8:16] – Josef Kristoffy and Michal Bado make the first ascent of Corona (5.14c), the hardest trad route in the High Tatras of Poland.
- Nyainqentangla South East, Nick Bullock [12:36] – Nick Bullock and Paul Ramsden on the FA of a big route in Tibet. A good little adventure flick.
- Chris Sharma, Pol Roca, Eric López, Training Day [5:37] – Sharma and crew spend the day playing around at Sharma’s gym in Barcelona.
- Paige Claassen: Tiny Holds And Tenacity On Idaho Test Piece [4:57] – Paige Clasasen and Emily Harrington head to Idaho to climb some sweet 5.14 sport routes.
- Stride Health: Alex Honnold Solos Lover’s Leap in Dan Osman Tribute [1:17] – Honnold, heavy metal, a mullet, and more.
- Wide Boyz: Staffordshire Nose [3:58] – Pete Whittaker and Tom Randall take on The Stafforshire Nose, 31 routes that roughly equal in size The Nose of El Capitan.
- GoPro: Ice Climbing Interstellar Spice [6:15] – Awesome ice climbing in Canada.
- dai koyamada’s short movie “Stratos” V12/13 [5:28] – Japanese super-climber climbs a hard new boulder problem at Hiei Miyazaki, Japan.
People, Interviews, and Profiles
- INTERVIEW: Margo Hayes on Her Semester in France, Three Gold Medals at the World Youth Championships, and Gaining Confidence Through Climbing Outside at Coffee. Tape. Climb.
- Silvio Reffo shoots up Hotel Supramonte and Mezzogiorno di Fuoco in Sardinia at Planet Mountain
- What’s In Your Pack: Will Stanhope on Squamish, FAs, and Life After the Send at Moja Gear
- Public Lands and the Future of Advocacy: An Interview with Brady Robinson (Part I in an Interview Series) at Alpinist
- Pete Whittaker / Climbing interview after all-free rope-solo up El Capitan in a day at Planet Mountain
Gear, Reviews, etc.
- Climbing’s Best Accessories of 2016 at Evening Sends
- Dirtbag Gifts: Awesome Stuff Under 20 Bucks at Moja Gear
- Climbing Holiday Gift Guide: Luminoodle Light Rope at Climbing
- The Edelrid Jul 2 is Perfect for Climbing Gym Belays at Gripped
- Cheap Gifts for Climbers at The American Alpine Club Blog
- Review: Scarpa Vapor Lace at The Climbing Zine
- Grivel Air Tech Evolution Ice Axes Review at Climbing Gear Reviews
- Five Ten Access – Climbing Shoe Review at Rock & Ice
- Climbing Holiday Gift Guide: Arc’teryx Proton AR Hoody at Climbing
- Cypher Vesta Sport Quickdraw Review at Rock Climber Life
- Last-Minute Stocking Stuffers for Your Outdoorsy Family and Friends at Coffee. Tape. Climb.
Check out my book 101 Rock Climbing Tips and Tricks for great info on how to climb smarter and harder!