This Week in Climbing #17 (February 21, 2016 Edition)
Thanks for hanging in there as I took a few weeks off! Here’s all of the interesting rock climbing stuff that happened over the last week.
- Puccio and Schubert Win Hueco Rock Rodeo at DPM
- Youth Bouldering Nationals Finals Results at Gripped
- Lucie Hrozová Sets Standard With New M15 In Colorado at Gripped (See also Planet Mountain and UK Climbing.)
- Huge Day in Hueco for Alex Puccio including Crown of Aragorn (V13) at DPM (See also UK Climbing.)
- Scarface (5.14a) for Margo Hayes at DPM
- New Japanese climbs in Argentine Patagonia at Planet Mountain
- Smith Rock’s New Hardest Route by Drew Ruana at Gripped
- Slashface, ~8B, by Alex Puccio at UK Climbing
- Two More V13’s for Alex Puccio in Hueco at DPM
- Raru valley Himalaya climbs by Anastasija Davidova and Matija Jost – Matic at Planet Mountain
- Le Pied à Coulisse, ~8C+, repeated. Twice! at UK Climbing (See also DPM.)
- Jimmy Webb Climbs another V14 in Font and Takes on a Famous Project at DPM
- Adam Ondra Claims 2nd Ascent of Sharma’s Stoking the Fire (5.15b) at DPM (See also UK Climbing.)
- New E8 for James McHaffie on Anglesey at UK Climbing
- Probable Cuillin Winter Record for Wild and Gomersall at UK Climbing
- Climb2020: Campaign for Olympic Sport Climbing Launched at UK Climbing
- Fatalities on Creag Meagaidh And The Lowther Hills at UK Climbing
- A Nutritionist’s Approach to Weight Loss for Climbing at Crux Crush
- How to Stay Strong When You’re Not Climbing at Conquer the Crux
- Move of the Month 12: Using Your Legs in Sport Climbing and Bouldering by Alli Rainey
- Quadrupedal Movement and Its Benefits for Climbing at Training Beta
- Climbing Gamlang Razi to Determine Myanmar’s Highest Peak at Climbing
- Shoulder Tears and Surgery by Steph Davis
- At the Intersection of Art and Adventure at Crux Crush
- Start With the Mind: A Mental Approach to Training and Preparation by Jonathan Siegrest
- How to Climb Slopers (With Tips From Meagan Martin at Climbing
- Bozeman, Montana Climbing Destination Guide at Climbing
- A Primer on Losing Weight for Climbing (Part 1) at Climbing Nutrition
Good New Climbing Videos
- Call Of The Grit Part 1 [14:52] – A long video of England’s storied gritstone climbing.
- Woods & Graham in Flatanger [8:58] – Two hardcore climbers climb 5.15s in Norway.
- This Is Not Happening! | Sasha DiGiulian – “Weathered In” | adidas Outdoor [6:33] – Sasha DiGiulian recounts a Swiss epic.
- FRIDAY NIGHT VIDEO: WideBoyz Minions [3:13] – Two hardcore British climbers don interesting costumes…
- MAx and andy [4:12] – First ascent of a beautiful V12/V13 in Tuolumne Meadows.
- Bishop Classics 2 • The Buttermilks [6:32] – A beautifully shot bouldering vid.
Interviews and Profiles
- INTERVIEW: Colin Haley on the Torre Traverse at UK Climbing
- Cerro Torre SE Ridge Compressor Route: second free ascent. Interview with Mikey Schaefer at Planet Mountain
- Interview: The New Ontario Guidebook with Gus Alexandropoulos at Gripped
- Watch Interview with Christian Core, First Climber to Send V16 at Gripped
Gear Reviews, etc.
- Edelrid Topaz 9.2mm Rope at DPM
- DMM Alpha Sport Quickdraw at DPM
- Edelrid Jul² Review at Climbing Gear Reviews
- Review: Arc’Teryx Nuclei AR Jacket at The Climbing Zine
- DMM Flight Pack Review at Splitter Choss
- Review: Kahtoola MICROspikes at The Climbing Zine
- Review: Our Top 5 Alpine Packs at Climbing
- Film Review: The Wildest Dream at The American Alpine Institute Blog
Trip Reports, etc.
- The Big Red Rooster in the Far North. (Steep Ice in Northern Quebec.) by Nick Bullock
- The Great Red Roof and what really scares me at For the Love of Climbing
- Kalymnos in Winter? at Vertical Life