Here’s what went on in the rock climbing world from December 21 through December 27.
- Silvermine is officially open again. at Climb ZA
- Jimmy Webb Puts Up the South’s First V15 at DPM
- RIP: Kayah Gaydish at DPM
- Canadians Continue Sending Down South at Gripped
- Climbers We Lost in 2015 at Rock & Ice
- Top Canadian Sends of 2015 at Gripped
- Canadians on Nepal First Ascent with Strong Team at Gripped
- Cramped Bivys and Maze-Like Glaciers on San Lian East at Alpinist
- A Punishing Approach to a New Route on Dzasampa Tse at Alpinist
- Kei Taniguchi perishes on Mount Kuro in Japan at Planet Mountain (See also Alpinist.)
- Phenomena, ~8B+/V14, by Ashima Shiraishi at UK Climbing
- The Big Island, ~8C, by Michiel Nieuwenhuijsen at UK Climbing
- Roland Hemetzberger frees Stefan Fürst desperate at Achleiten at Planet Mountain (See also Gripped.)
Good New Climbing Videos
- standing rock [6:18] – Climbers Rob Pizm and Mike Brumbaugh hop on the iconic Standing Rock in Utah’s Canyonlands National Park.
- Groom Creek Bouldering: First Ascent of Blood Moon [5:48] – The story of a bouldering FA in central Arizona.
- Ueli Steck New Speed Record Eiger 2015 [3:28]
- Hueco Tanks [11:33] – No hype or spray, just pretty boulder problems at Hueco.
- Guido Unterwurzacher ice climbing – part 1| Canadian Rockies | adidas Outdoor [2:46] – Beautiful mixed and ice climbing footage.
- In The Bubble – Andy Earl’s Story [34:27] – The story of one of Britain’s best climbers and the accident that changed his life.
- ‘Stormbringer- No Retreat’ iceclimbing in Norway [10:58]
- Adam Ondra – Predator 9a+ (Srbsko, Czech republic) [3:13]
- The Other Side of Eating Disorders & Climbing at Crux Crush
- The Munter Mule at The American Alpine Institute Blog
- Wave Pools & Climbing Walls at The Stone Mind
- Move of the Month 10: Smearing (Improve Your Climbing) by Alli Rainey
- Christmas Gift Ideas for That Hard-to-Shop-For Climber at The Alpine Start
- Weight loss for climbers at Vertical Life
- Everest 2016: How Much Does it Cost to Climb Mount Everest? by Alan Arnette
- Why K2 Brings Out the Best and Worst in Those Who Climb It at National Geographic
- Cool Couloirs: 6 Fun Snow Climbs at Climbing
- Rappelling vs. Lowering Off of a Rock Climb – New here at The Undercling
- Review: Yosemite In The Fifties at The Climbing Zine
- Atxarte Climbing Holds – Mixed Bag Review [Video]
- Review: Westcomb Recon Cargo Pant at The Climbing Zine
- Stone Age Climbing Gym Review by Rob Pizm
- There’s no taking in trad climbing! (part dos) at For the Love of Climbing – A Tennessee trip report
- Norway launches campaign to give Finland a mountain at The Telegraph
Check out my book 101 Rock Climbing Tips and Tricks for great info on how to climb smarter and harder!