Here’s all the interesting stuff that went on in the rock climbing, ice climbing, and mountaineering world during the week of January 24 to January 31, 2016.
- New Fitz Roy Route and Patagonia Season Highlights at Gripped
- American Alpine Club Announces 2016 Award Recipients at Climbing
- Remembering Iñaki Coussirat at Planet Mountain
- Climbers Aim to Save B.C. Crag at Gripped
- Big Sexy’s Yodel is Rockies Newest Mixed Route at Gripped
- Lowering Accident in Diablo Canyon at Alpinist
- Brette Harrington Solos Patagonia Route at Gripped
- Mascarenas and Coleman Upset Former Champions at USA Bouldering Nationals at DPM
- Piolets d’Or 2016 moves to La Grave-La Meije at Planet Mountain
- Ice Climbing Ecrins 2016 festival report at Planet Mountain
- l’Alchimiste , ~8C, by Alban Levier at UK Climbing (See also Gripped.)
- l’Alchimiste original by Charles Albert at UK Climbing (He also climbed it barefoot a couple days later.)
- Tom Ballard Sends New European D15- at Gripped
- Marianne van der Steen D13+ drytooling flash at Bus del Quai, Italy at Planet Mountain
- Maria Tolokonina and Maxim Tomilov win the Ice Climbing World Cup 2016 at Planet Mountain
- Valle dell’Orco, Rolando Larcher climbs new granite on Torre di Aimonin at Planet Mountain
- Ice Climbing World Cup: Russians take gold in Saas Fee at Planet Mountain
- Ice Climbing Welcomed at Youth Olympics 2016 at Gripped
- The 2015 Golden Pitons at Climbing – These awards given in various climbing disciplines are always fun to read.
- Tips For Redpointing Sport Climbs at Evening Sends
- Unbelayvable: A PAS Freeloader at Climbing
- A Question of Motivation at The Stone Mind
- Closing the System and Staying Alive at The American Alpine Institute Blog
- Why Fitness Resolutions Are So Hard to Keep—And What You Can Do to Change This by Alli Rainey
- The Wright Stuff: The One Rule at Climbing
- Deadlifting for Climbing at Crux Crush
- David Mason Training for King of Limbs at Training Beta
- Sugar and spice and everything ice at For the Love of Climbing
Good New Climbing Videos
- NEVADA GRANITE bouldering near Las Vegas [4:42] – A new granite (?!) bouldering area not too far from Las Vegas.
- David Lama – High Spirits in Nepal [9:15] – David Lama and Conrad Anker head to Nepal for some first ascent action.
- “Meru”: Risk and Responsibility in Climbing – Nat Geo Live [4:27] – Jimmy Chin talks about his Meru film project.
- Black Diamond Athlete Summit: Project Siurana [2:57] – Black Diamond climbers head to Spain to climb beautiful routes.
- The North Face – Home – Spec Ad [1:12] – It’s an ad for The North Face, but it’s a beautiful one.
- Yuji Hirayama, Pearson And Ciavaldini Roadtrippin’ And Deep-Water Soloing In France [4:59] – Great DWS footage.
- Weaving Sensory Pathways on “Synesthesia” (5.12d), Sedona, Arizona [7:44] – A beautiful splitter near Sedona, AZ.
- FRI NIGHT VID: Girlie and Burly at UK Climbing
- Mayan Smith-Gobat & Ben Rueck climbing in Tasmania | Totem Pole | adidas Outdoor [3:14] – Climbing Tasmania’s famous Totem Pole spire.
- L’ENVERS DU DÉVERS – Épisode 4 – Saint-Alban [15:35] – Drytooling in Quebec.
- Exploring New Faces: Interview with Sasha DiGiulian at Crux Crush
- Interview: Simon Mentz & Glenn Tempest on Arapiles Selected Climbs 2016 at Vertical Life
- INTERVIEW: Alban Levier at UK Climbing
- Girl Crush of the Month: Claudia Ziegler at Crux Crush
- INTERVIEW: Korra Pesce on Psycho Vertical at UK Climbing
Gear & Reviews
- Belay Glasses Decision by Steph Davis
- The New Grivel Captive Carabiner at Gripped
- Outdoor Retailer Winter 2016 Climbing Report at Splitter Choss
- Butora Acro Shoe Review [1:48] – A video review.
- Awesome Woodys Cliff Board by Steph Davis
- Gear review: Deuter Guide 40+ at For the Love of Climbing