This Week in Climbing #16 (January 31, 2016 Edition)
Here’s all the interesting stuff that went on in the rock climbing, ice climbing, and mountaineering world during the week of January 24 to January 31, 2016.
- New Fitz Roy Route and Patagonia Season Highlights at Gripped
- American Alpine Club Announces 2016 Award Recipients at Climbing
- Remembering Iñaki Coussirat at Planet Mountain
- Climbers Aim to Save B.C. Crag at Gripped
- Big Sexy’s Yodel is Rockies Newest Mixed Route at Gripped
- Lowering Accident in Diablo Canyon at Alpinist
- Brette Harrington Solos Patagonia Route at Gripped
- Mascarenas and Coleman Upset Former Champions at USA Bouldering Nationals at DPM
- Piolets d’Or 2016 moves to La Grave-La Meije at Planet Mountain
- Ice Climbing Ecrins 2016 festival report at Planet Mountain
- l’Alchimiste , ~8C, by Alban Levier at UK Climbing (See also Gripped.)
- l’Alchimiste original by Charles Albert at UK Climbing (He also climbed it barefoot a couple days later.)
- Tom Ballard Sends New European D15- at Gripped
- Marianne van der Steen D13+ drytooling flash at Bus del Quai, Italy at Planet Mountain
- Maria Tolokonina and Maxim Tomilov win the Ice Climbing World Cup 2016 at Planet Mountain
- Valle dell’Orco, Rolando Larcher climbs new granite on Torre di Aimonin at Planet Mountain
- Ice Climbing World Cup: Russians take gold in Saas Fee at Planet Mountain
- Serenata 8C for Dawid Skoczylas at UK Climbing
- Foolish Tooling at Kyloe Out Causes Damage at UK Climbing
- Ice Climbing Welcomed at Youth Olympics 2016 at Gripped
- The 2015 Golden Pitons at Climbing – These awards given in various climbing disciplines are always fun to read.
- Tips For Redpointing Sport Climbs at Evening Sends
- Unbelayvable: A PAS Freeloader at Climbing
- A Question of Motivation at The Stone Mind
- Closing the System and Staying Alive at The American Alpine Institute Blog
- Why Fitness Resolutions Are So Hard to Keep—And What You Can Do to Change This by Alli Rainey
- The Wright Stuff: The One Rule at Climbing
- Deadlifting for Climbing at Crux Crush
- David Mason Training for King of Limbs at Training Beta
- Sugar and spice and everything ice at For the Love of Climbing
Good New Climbing Videos
- NEVADA GRANITE bouldering near Las Vegas [4:42] – A new granite (?!) bouldering area not too far from Las Vegas.
- David Lama – High Spirits in Nepal [9:15] – David Lama and Conrad Anker head to Nepal for some first ascent action.
- “Meru”: Risk and Responsibility in Climbing – Nat Geo Live [4:27] – Jimmy Chin talks about his Meru film project.
- Black Diamond Athlete Summit: Project Siurana [2:57] – Black Diamond climbers head to Spain to climb beautiful routes.
- The North Face – Home – Spec Ad [1:12] – It’s an ad for The North Face, but it’s a beautiful one.
- Yuji Hirayama, Pearson And Ciavaldini Roadtrippin’ And Deep-Water Soloing In France [4:59] – Great DWS footage.
- Weaving Sensory Pathways on “Synesthesia” (5.12d), Sedona, Arizona [7:44] – A beautiful splitter near Sedona, AZ.
- FRI NIGHT VID: Girlie and Burly at UK Climbing
- Mayan Smith-Gobat & Ben Rueck climbing in Tasmania | Totem Pole | adidas Outdoor [3:14] – Climbing Tasmania’s famous Totem Pole spire.
- L’ENVERS DU DÉVERS – Épisode 4 – Saint-Alban [15:35] – Drytooling in Quebec.
- Exploring New Faces: Interview with Sasha DiGiulian at Crux Crush
- Interview: Simon Mentz & Glenn Tempest on Arapiles Selected Climbs 2016 at Vertical Life
- INTERVIEW: Alban Levier at UK Climbing
- Girl Crush of the Month: Claudia Ziegler at Crux Crush
- INTERVIEW: Korra Pesce on Psycho Vertical at UK Climbing
Gear & Reviews
- Belay Glasses Decision by Steph Davis
- The New Grivel Captive Carabiner at Gripped
- Outdoor Retailer Winter 2016 Climbing Report at Splitter Choss
- Butora Acro Shoe Review [1:48] – A video review.
- Awesome Woodys Cliff Board by Steph Davis
- Gear review: Deuter Guide 40+ at For the Love of Climbing
Trip Reports and Everything Else
- Flight into El Gato by Nick Bullock
- Back to Chulilla, Spain by Blake Herrington – A trip report of hard sport climbing in Spain.
- Lady Stoke (A Rockumentary) – A Kickstarter for a lady climbing documentary.