Here’s all of the best and most interesting rock climbing stuff that happened over the last week. Enjoy, and happy climbing (and Merry Christmas)!
- Marc-Andre Leclerc Climbs New Hard West Coast Mixed at Gripped
- New Chossy Maritime Mixed Route by Fisher and Toron at Gripped
- Three Big New Granite Routes in Quebec at Gripped
- New Alpine Route on Gimmigela East in Nepal at Gripped
- Manolo, climbing and Il Mattino dei Maghi: first repeat in 35 years at Planet Mountain
- Ultimatum, 9a+ (5.15a), first ascent by Stefano Ghisolfi at UK Climbing (See also Planet Mountain.)
- New ice and mixed climb up Cima Paganella, Brenta Dolomites at Planet Mountain
- Era Vella 9a (5.14d) for Will Smith at UK Climbing
- Dirtbag Fun Facts: Numbers and Tips from My Experiment with the “Dirtbag Dream” at Coffee. Tape. Climb.
- What’s the Best Knot for Tying Rappel Ropes? by Steph Davis
- Belay-Loop Myth at Rock and Ice
- Truck Touring: What to Do When the Dream Isn’t So Dreamy at Moja Gear
- How to Smear in the Hills at Climb ZA
- 5 Quick Tips to up your Photo Game at the Crag at Crux Crush
- You Still Don’t Need More Than 20 Grams of Protein per Meal at Climbing Nutrition
- Cardio for Climbing – Is it Worth It? at Training Beta
Other Climbing Articles
- 100 Climbing Magazine Covers By the Numbers at Climbing
- Managing Expectations at For the Love of Climbing
- Merry Christmas, AAC at The Suburban Mountaineer
- Essay: With All Due Respect, Boulderers at Moja Gear
- Photos of the Year – 2016 at Rock and Ice
Destinations and Routes
- Climbing Destination Guide: Stone Fort, Tennessee (Little Rock City) at Moja Gear
- Thanks, Volcanoes: Exploring Oregon Climbing at Climbing
- Old Becomes New in Indian Creek by Chris Schulte at Climbing Zine
Good New Climbing Videos
- Packing For A Day Of Ice Climbing [6:09] – What to take with you when you go ice climbing.
- RR11 Extras – Young Gun Ashima Shiriashi on Nuclear War (V14) [1:06] – A quick extra from Reel Rock 11 that shows Ashima Shiriashi climb a V14 boulder problem in New York.
- David Mason climbs three stunning-looking V13s in the Grampians, Australia [6:08] – Three V13 boulder problems in the Grampians.
- Suzu Jeffery – Defined by Passion [6:22] – A video profile of climber Suzu Jeffrey.
- Directissima [22:43] – An amazing long video highlighting the “splendour of winter climbing and the unique scenery of Quebec.”
- Seb Bouin -Salida del Sol [2:44] – Watch French climber Seb Bouin remove a climbing shoe halfway up a 5.14c.
- Chamonix, Grand Capucin – Young alpinists camp [5:50] – A group of young Czech climbs head to France to climb the classic Grand Capucin.
- Stefano Ghisolfi Battles For Goldrake, 9a+, With An Injured Finger [5:35] – Yep. Climbing 5.15a with an injured finger.
- FrictionLabs presents Rooftown Vol 1 featuring Matt Gentile. [20:54] – Matt Gentile explores Arizona to find world-class roof problems. A very good climbing film.
- Mina Leslie-Wujastyk at Flock Hill, New Zealand [7:28] – A series of beautiful boulder problems at Flock Hill, New Zealand. Very cool-looking boulders and scenery.
People, Interviews, and Profiles
- Interview: Andy Burgress and Mecca – The Mid-Life Crisis at Lattice Training
Gear, Reviews, etc.
- Climbing Holiday Gift Guide: Awesome Woodys Cliff Board at Climbing
- Climbing Holiday Gift Guide: Mammut Wall Rider Helmet at Climbing
- Arc’teryx Alpha SV Review 2017 by Climbing Gear Reviews
- Review: Patagonia Fitz Roy Down Parka at The Climbing Zine