This Week in Climbing #15 (January 24, 2016 Edition)
Image: Screenshot from the video of The Kraken (V13].
Here’s all the interesting stuff that went on in the rock climbing, ice climbing, and mountaineering world during the week of January 18 to January 24, 2016.
- Blasting in Montagu – Road / Crag / Hiking Closures at Climb ZA
- CityROCK Cape Town Open Weekend at Climb ZA
- Famed Route on Torre Egger Gets Second Ascent at Alpinist
- Colin Haley Solos Torre Egger in Patagonia at Gripped (See also Climbing, Planet Mountain, Alpinist, UK Climbing.)
- Ragni route on Fitz Roy, first repeat by Matteo Della Bordella and David Bacci at Planet Mountain
- Boomtown – The Rise of Brisbane’s Climbing Scene at Vertical Life
- Climbing Banned in Thailand’s Koh Yao Noi at UK Climbing
- Le Pied à Coulisse, first ~8C+/V16 in Font by Glairon Mondet at UK Climbing (See also DPM, Gripped, Planet Mountain.)
- Google Launch Mont Blanc Street View at UK Climbing
- The Vapouriser VIII, 8: Second Ascent for Hawthorn and Livingstone at UK Climbing
- Americans Visit Scotland and Send at Gripped
- Monk Life 8B+ for Ben Freeman at UK Climbing
- Two Grade IX’s in a Weekend for Dave MacLeod at UK Climbing
- Dropped 1500ft by Rob Pizem – An ode to climbing cameras.
- Unbelayvable: A Questionable Belay Location at Climbing
- The Backpack as Luggage at The American Alpine Institute Blog
- Move of the Month 11: Flagging (or Otherwise Dropping One Foot off the Rock While Climbing) by Alli Rainey
- Trekking Peaks in Nepal’s Khumbu Himal at Planet Mountain
- Blog – ‘This is not a children’s birthday party’ at Vertical Life – Words of climbing wisdom.
- Will Everest Be Empty This Year? at The Adventure Blog
- From Marathons to Multi-Pitch: Maximizing Your Mental Game With the Help of Others at Crux Crush
- Yosemite Rockfall Year in Review 2015 at SuperTopo
- Vertical Life’s Best of Blogs & Podcasts at Vertical Life
- Climbing In The City of Foundations (Kansas City) by Allen Schaidle at The Climbing Zine
- A Complete Overview of Energy Pools in Climbing at Climbing Nutrition
- Intro to Fingerboard Training at Training for Climbing
- From the ground up at For the Love of Climbing
Good New Climbing Videos
- World’s Fastest Person to Climb the Matterhorn | Dani Arnold [2:13]
- Hedon Rock Tours – Canadian Climbing [6:33] – A look at different crags in beautiful western Canada.
- Watch Highlights from 2016 Ouray Ice Fest at Gripped
- Flatanger Hugo, Thoma, Elie [7:04] – Sport climbing in Flatanger, Norway.
- Mad Rocklands 2015 [29:25] – Half an hour of Rocklands, South Africa bouldering footage.
- Serendipity – A Spanish adventure in Great Britain [16:31] – A Spanish climber moves to the UK. Much climbing ensues.
- Scottish Winter Kit list [6:30] – Dave MacLeod talks about the gear he takes on his Scottish winter climbs.
- Era Vella (9a) by Magnus Midtbo [1:27] – Drone footage of a super hard route in Spain.
- Tom Randall Climbs the Kraken (V13), the World’s Hardest Crack Boulder Problem at DPM [5:32]
Gear Reviews, etc.
- Review: Beal Cocoon Chalk Bag at The Climbing Zine
- Sherpa Lithang Pant Review at Climbing Gear Reviews
- OR Winter 2016: Hardware and Packs at The Alpine Start
- OR Winter 2016: Apparel and Gloves at The Alpine Start
- Mini Traxion Rope Solo Length? by Steph Davis
- Silvio Reffo, the 9a climbing physiotherapist at Planet Mountain
- Words With Calgary Comp Climber Eva Thompson at Gripped
- Back in the East. by Nick Bullock – A trip report.
- Southern Freeze by Dave MacLeod – A Scotland winter climbing trip report.
- Tazzuh! The Candlestick and Talk is Cheap at The Climbing Obscurist – Climbing a Tasmanian tower.