Here’s all the interesting stuff that went on in the rock climbing, ice climbing, and mountaineering world during the week of January 11 to January 17, 2016.
- Mason Earle Wins $1,000 by Onsighting Indoor Crack at Climbing – And it goes at 5.12+/5.13-.
- Psycho Vertical, Torre Egger, Patagonia first repeat in 29 years. Interview with Korra Pesce at Planet Mountain (See also Gripped.)
- Nathan Hall Continues Sends into New Year at Gripped
- Famed Widow’s Tears Ice Climb Soloed at Climbing (See also Alpinist.)
- Nathan Kutcher Onsights a Colorado M12+ at Gripped
- 4th ascent of The Game, ~8C, by Jimmy Webb at UK Climbing (See also DPM.)
- Vachon Wins Ouray Mixed Competition at Climbing
- Stralasegne, new mixed climb up the North Face of Pala di San Martino, Dolomites at Planet Mountain
- Ortler Trinitas: Riegler brothers complete their South Tyrolean trilogy at Planet Mountain
- Selecció Anal, 9a+, by Edu Marin at UK Climbing
- New Year Hangover for Helliker and Bracey on the Tour Ronde at UK Climbing
- Edu Marin is on a Roll With More 5.15s at Gripped
- El Nino, new Hochgasser mixed climb by Vittorio Messini and Matthias Wurzer at Planet Mountain
- La Force, 9a(8C?) by Alban Levier at UK Climbing (See also DPM.)
- Tom Ballard: climbing towards tomorrow’s world in the Dolomites at Planet Mountain
- Second Ascent of Crusade VII, 8 for Hawthorn and Small at UK Climbing
- Steve McClure Onsights 8b+ in Chulilla at UK Climbing
- Polish Alpinists Climb Enchainment on Krivan in High Tatras at Alpinist
- 1-Year Shoulder Surgery Update for Neely at Training Beta
- Unbelayvable: A Rope Too Short at Climbing
- Your Own Personal Mount Everest at The Stone Mind
- Living Life by Steph Davis
- The Normality of Tragedy at Adventure Journal – “A blunt and probing look at the relationship between climbing and death.”
- When Tomorrow Never Comes at Splitter Choss
- Bouldering in the Southeast: Horse Pens 40, Rocktown & Stone Fort at Crux Crush
- Climbing Gym Workouts for Improving Endurance at Cragmama
- Frostbite: Symptoms and Treatment at The American Alpine Institute Blog
- How to Wash Your Rope at Crux Crush
- Crampon Technique for Ice Climbing at The American Alpine Institute Blog
Good New Climbing Videos
- Second Life [2:07] – A gorgeous boulder problem.
- Three Peak Films – 2016 Reel [2:55] – Brief looks at beautiful climbing and outdoor videography.
- Luis Rod Creature [2:36] – An ascent of Creature Feature, a 5.13+ sport route.
- Hansjörg Auer and Much Mayr – ‘Ice like Sugar’ – Mt. Reaper – Alaska 2015 [6:10] – The first ascent of a mountain in Alaska.
- Jonathan Siegrist Goes Full Project Mode On ‘La Rambla’ (9a+/5.15a) | Nomad, Ep. 5 [6:26] – Siegrist talks about projecting a classic hard Spanish route.
- Rocklands – Two days in the heat [6:11] – Beautiful South African bouldering.
- Homage: Kenny Parker of the New River Gorge [3:10] – Profile of a prolific New River Gorge climber.
- Backyard Granite Trailer [2:49] – Beautiful trailer for bouldering in western Washington.
- Commit: Cold Focus [3:09] – Ice climbing goodness.
- Vitaliy Musiyenko Soloing Widow’s Tears in Yosemite National Park [1:44]
- Sky High | The Rostrum – Nina Williams and Helen Sinclair | adidas Outdoor [12:08] – Climbing a beautiful Yosemite classic.
- Edu Marin Takes Down Spain’s Hardest Multi-Pitch With His Dad [5:58]
- Fire Dust & Cracks [7:32] – Beautiful crack climbing in the Utah desert.
- Regan Kennedy on Projects, Hueco and More at Gripped
- Interview: Chris Sharma Talks Filming Point Break at Climbing
- Basecamp Podcast Conversation with Majka Burhardt at Gripped
- Van Life: Thomasina Pidgeon On Being A Dirtbag Climber | Climbing Daily, Ep. 641 [5:22] at EpicTV
- Throwback: Timy Fairfield Climbs his Hardest Problem at Age 46 at DPM
- For Famed Rock Climber, A ‘Big Break’ That Thankfully Wasn’t Literal at NPR
Book & Gear Reviews
- La Sportiva Katana Lace at Crux Crush
- Book Review: Cascades Rock by Blake Herrington at The American Alpine Institute Blog
- Product Review: Using Compression Garments To Potentially Enhance Climbing Performance & Recovery by Alli Rainey
- ‘Alpine Warriors’ by Bernadette McDonald at The Suburban Mountaineer
- Words With University Bouldering Series President at Gripped
- Field Tested Review: Patagonia Reconnaissance Pants at The Alpine Start
- Tenaya Iati at DPM
- Osprey Variant 37 Review at Climbing Gear Reviews
- NOW we’re talking OBSCURE! at The Climbing Obscurist
- Reinhold Messner recalls the Messner slab on Sass dla Crusc, Dolomites at Planet Mountain
- Yosemite Locations Change Names Over Trademark Dispute at Climbing