This Week in Climbing #33 (July 31, 2016)
Here’s all of the best and most interesting rock climbing stuff that happened over the last week. Enjoy, and happy climbing!
- SOUTH AFRICA
- Monkey wedding, ~8C by Nalle Hukkataival at UK Climbing (See also Gripped.)
- Baffin Island, Ragni return after new routes at Planet Mountain
- Unrepeated Yamnuska Traverse Attempted in Single Push at Gripped
- Another New Route up Colonel Foster is Northwest Arete at Gripped
- Best Practices to Ensure Access to Ontario’s Lion’s Head at Gripped
- Alex Megos in Canada and Frees Projects in Rockies at Gripped
- Alex Megos Climbs New 5.14d at Acephale at Gripped
- New 5.14a R/X Multipitch Trad Route in Japan at Alpinist (See also Gripped.)
- Aleš Česen and Luka Lindič climb Broad Peak and Gasherbrum IV North Summit at Planet Mountain
- Nina Caprez Sends Massive Mont Blanc 5.12 by Gripped
- The Best Exercise You’re Not Doing: The Scapular Pull-up! at Training for Climbing
- The Flapper by Rob Pizem
Other Climbing Articles
- Losing It at Vertical Life
- Sacred Space by Drew Thayer (art by Rhiannon Williams) at The Climbing Zine
Destinations, Routes, etc.
- Five Big Unrepeated Canadian Rockies Aid Routes at Gripped
- Wheat Kings is New Seven-Pitch Bolted 5.7 in Rockies at Gripped
Good New Climbing Videos
- Scenes from the Green | Celin Serbo | REDirect Explore 2016 [5:31] – Some climbers head down the Green River in Utah to climb new routes.
- Getting up Getu [7:30] – Alex Honnold and Felipe Carmago climb a multi-pitch 5.14b in China.
- The Art Of Failure | Alex Johnson in Bishop California | ‘The Swarm’ (V13/8B) [5:19] – Climber Alex Johnson heads to Bishop to test her mettle on a classic hard highball.
- Alex Megos on Hubble [5:15] – Alex Megos climbs the UK’s Hubble, one of the most famous hard routes in the world.
- Chris Sharma In Aruba [7:19] – Sharma heads to Aruba for some crazy bouldering.
- GREAT WIDE OPEN: Episode 1 – The Conquistador [14:15] – Actor Jared Leto profiles Tommy Caldwell.
- Another Day on the Cobra Crack [4:17] – Logan Barber works the classic 5.14 Squamish testpiece.
Interviews and Profiles
- Featured Photographer: Kamil Sustiak at Moja Gear
- Rise Up: Recovering from a Free Solo Accident at Friction Labs
- Eva Lopez Rock Climbing Injury Prevention Interview Part 1 of 2 at The Climbing Doctor
- Square Shooter: Austin Siadak’s Balance in Precarious Places at Adventure Journal
Gear, Reviews, etc.
- Black Diamond Pipe Dream 45 Pack Review at Splitter Choss