This Week in Climbing #41 (November 6, 2016)
Here’s all of the best and most interesting rock climbing stuff that happened over the last week. Enjoy, and happy climbing!
- Adam Ondra Finds Dawn Wall Complex and Difficult at Gripped (And another update, and the most recent.)
- Tour de Ditch: Quinn Brett and Josie McKee climb seven Yosemite big walls in seven days at Alpinist
- The Gunks’ New Hardest Climb: Bro-Zone (5.14b) at Rock & Ice (See also Gripped.)
- Marek Raganowicz solo climbs Plastic Surgery Disaster on El Capitan at Planet Mountain
- Vandal Destroys Holds on Climbs in Little Cottonwood Canyon, Utah at Rock & Ice
- Mt. Hutsa & Peak 5912m, new international climbs in Genyen massif, Sichuan at Planet Mountain
- Jakob Schubert frees Kein Licht kein Schatten in Ötztal, Austria at Planet Mountain
- L’uomo volante on Quarto Torrione di Mondeval, Dolomites at Planet Mountain
- Christoph Hainz makes solo first ascent of Golden Pillar of Ortler at Planet Mountain
- Jernej Kruder Repeats Sharma’s “King Line” Es Pontas at Rock & Ice (See also Gripped, UK Climbing. See also interviews with Kruder at Planet Mountain, UK Climbing, and Rock & Ice.)
- New climbing grant for female first ascents at Alpinist
- Revelations 8b (5.13d) by 11 year-old Toby Roberts at UK Climbing
- Dirtbag Tricks: How to Stay Warm When It’s F****** Cold at Moja Gear
- Super Munter and Zooper Munter at The American Alpine Institute Blog
- Dropped Haulbag Strikes Climber in Yosemite at Rock & Ice
- Why your Belayer is Keeping you from Climbing Hard(er) at The Climber’s Guide
- Climbing Commands at The American Alpine Institute Blog
- 3 Big Reasons You’re Getting Injured and What to Do About It by Natasha Barnes
Other Climbing Articles
- Burnout: What Happens When You Quit? at Climbing
- Long Runs The Fox by Andy Kirkpatrick
- 1,305 miles and a mixtape at For the Love of Climbing
- Fastest in the Flatirons: The Satan’s Minions Scrambling Club at Climbing
- Take ‘The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go’ To The Next Level at Semi-Rad
- How Much Political Influence Do Climbers Have? at Climbing
Destinations and Routes
- Washington Pass in Rock & Ice by Blake Herrington
Good New Climbing Videos
- The Commitment Series Ep. 2 – Tom Randall: Obsession [6:41] – “Tom Randall is a modern day institution in the world of British climbing…. Tom provides a unique insight into his formative years spent in a world entirely different to the one we associate him with now.”
- Said Belhaj and the story of Papichulo 9a+ [4:20] – Said Belhaj talks projecting Chris Sharma’s route Papichulo (5.15a) in Spain.
- Adam Ondra Onsights C’est La Vie 8c+ [7:05] – Adam ondra onsights a 5.14c in Slovakia.
- Chris Sharma in “Perfecto Mundo” Project 9b+? [4:07] – Chris Sharma hops on a mega-hard uber-project of his in Margalef, Spain.
- -NO CODES- Phillipe Ribière [5:49] – Ribière, a pro climber from France, talks about and shows some new boudler problems and areas he found.
- The Path [4:06] – Tim Emmett and Read Macadam work one of the most iconic hard trad pitches in Canada: The Path (5.14 R).
- Once Upon A Lantern Session [3:51] – A nighttime bouldering session at Tom’s Cave in England.
Interviews and Profiles
- Climber Spotlight: Ben Hanna, 18-Year-Old Desert Southwest Standout at Moja Gear
- Art of the First Ascent: The Bold Climbs of Marcus Garcia at Rock & Ice
- How 15-Year-Old Ashima Shiraishi Became the Face of Pro Rock Climbing at NBC News
- Petra Klinger / climbing like a Bouldering World Champion in South Korea at Planet Mountain
Gear, Reviews, etc.
- Y&Y Clip Up Belay Glasses by Steph Davis
- Ice Diaries takes the Grand Prize in the 2016 Banff Mountain Book Competition at Gripped