This Week in Climbing #52 (January 29, 2017)
Here’s all of the best and most interesting rock climbing stuff that happened over the last week. Enjoy, and happy climbing!
- Spitting Cobra is One of Many New B.C. Ice Routes at Gripped
- Canadians Start 2017 With Strong Rock Sends at Gripped
- Meadowlark Lemon stand, ~8B (V13), by Anna Stöhr at UK Climbing
- Michi Wohlleben frees Stirb langsam, huge mixed climb in Austria at Planet Mountain
- Happy Ending, new icefall in Val Trementina, Paganella at Planet Mountain
- Panta rei, new icefall in Valbruna, Italy, climbed by Enrico Mosetti and Tine Cuder at Planet Mountain
- Peričnik, one of the most spectacular ice climbs in Slovenia at Planet Mountain
- Novena enmienda, 9a/+, by injured Seb Bouin at UK Climbing
- 2 x 8c by Katherina Choong at UK Climbing
- United Kingdom
- Nightmare Inauguration: New Anglesey E8 by James McHaffie at UK Climbing
- The Climber Athlete: An Argument for Weightlifting at Moja Gear
- Rope Cutting Death by Andy Kirkpatrick
- Choosing Ice Screw Length at Rock & Ice
- Learn to Train: Local Endurance for Climbers at Climbing
- Probiotics and Supplements by Steph Davis
Other Climbing Articles
- Celebrating Women and Climbing at Evening Sends
- Chocolate: The Secret to Making Everyone on Your Climbing Trip Love You (And So Much More) at Coffee. Tape. Climb.
- Essay: Developing an Ego at Moja Gear
- Trad Dads and Dad Bods at Evening Sends
Destinations and Routes
- Chulilla in Spain, thoughts about this world-class climbing destination. By Maurizio Oviglia at Planet Mountain
Good New Climbing Videos
- James Pearson climbs The Quarryman [7:52] – James Pearson repeats a classic hard Welsh route first established by Johnn Dawes in the 1980s.
- A Higher Crawling [2:20] – “In the late 2016s, like, everything had already been done. At that point, the scene shifted to the sub-six-month-old group.” A humorous like at the rising generation.
- The Incredible Hulk – Emily Harrington and Alex Honnold Free Climb “Solar Flare” (5.12d) [6:40] – Emily and Alex head to the High Sierra to climb a hard route on the Incredible Hulk.
- Ice Climber Collapses Dagger – An ice climber climbs a freestanding pillar, and the thing collapses underneath him. Nuts.
People, Interviews, and Profiles
- Roland Pauligk, Creator of RPs, dies aged 79 at UK Climbing (See also Gripped.)
Gear, Reviews, etc.
- RP: the Story Behind the Initials at Vertical Life
- Beta Project Brush Review at Climbing Gear Reviews
- 2017 Winter Outdoor Retailer Climbing Report at Splitter Choss
- New Ice/Mixed Tool Training Grip is the Duck Ring at Gripped
- Long Term Review: Julbo Venturi Zebra at The Alpine Start
- Best Rope for a Month in the Desert by Steph Davis
- Bivvy Bag/Mat question by Andy Kirkpatrick