This Week in Climbing #56 (February 26, 2017)
Here’s all of the best and most interesting rock climbing stuff that happened over the last week. Enjoy, and happy climbing!
- Monster New Newfoundland Ice Route is Dreamline WI6+ at Gripped (See also this video of the ascent.)
- Big Wave Wall in Newfoundland Gets Big Mixed Route at Gripped
- Wasabi is New Steep WI5+ Ice Route in Rockies at Gripped
- Another New B.C. Mixed Route is Blob Blob Blob at Gripped
- Stu Smith Climbs New 5.14 in Squamish Smoke Bluffs at Gripped
- Jacob Cook Sends New 5.13d Slab in Squamish at Gripped
- Torres del Paine in Patagonia: Riders on the Storm too stormy for Mayan Smith-Gobat and Brette Harrington at Planet Mountain
- Strong European Team Frees Big Wall in Patagonia at Gripped (See also Planet Mountain.)
- Lucid Dreaming, ~8C (V15), by Toru Nakajima at UK Climbing
- Crusher Alex Puccio Sends Another V13 at Gripped
- Kuzan, ~8C (V15), by Toshi Takeuchi at UK Climbing
- Dolomites Val d’Ansiei: the new icefall Night Love at Planet Mountain
- Monte Miletto, new mixed climb Infinite Dreams in Italy’s Matese mountains at Planet Mountain
- Margo Hayes repeats La Rambla, first woman to climb 9a+ at Planet Mountain (See also UK Climbing, Gripped.)
- American Matty Hong Sends La Rambla 5.15a at Gripped
- Laura Rogora Sends Joe Cita 5.14d in Oliana at Gripped (See also UK Climbing.)
- Butch Cassidy 8A by 13 year-old Leo Skinner at UK Climbing
- How To Wrap a Cordellete at The American Alpine Institute Blog
- The Delicate Dance of Multi-Pitch Passing at Moja Gear
- The 7 Best Recover Tools for Climbers at The Mountain Project Journal
- Climb Safe: Common Belay Screw-ups and What To Do About Them at Rock & Ice
Other Climbing Articles
- To the Women’s Climbing Community: A Note of Support, Encouragement, and Challenge at Coffee. Tape. Climb.
- “I Will Climb, Too” — A Story on Mentorship and Responsible Climbing at Moja Gear
- An Obsession at For the Love of Climbing
- Why does my wrist hurt? Triangular Fibrocartilage injury at The Arch Climbing Wall Blog
- Home Wall Primer: Part 1—Planning and Construction at Climbing
Destinations and Routes
- Acadia: The Northeast’s Coastal Trad Climbing at Climbing
Good New Climbing Videos
- FISCH! Climbing the grey ocean wall [12:55] – Italian climber Federica Mingolla climbs the Fish Route on the Marmolada.
- Ambassador Seb Bouin: The Silent Crusher [3:23] – French climber Seb Bouin works a 5.15 project at the Verdon Gorge.
- The Mandala’s Climb – Love is a beautiful Thing – Megan MASCARENAS in Fontainebleau [17:49] – American climber Megan Mascarenas heads to Font.
- Stonehenge Direct 14b First Ascent “June Lake CA [5:42] – Ronny Kauk nabs the first ascent of a 5.14b sport route in June Lake, California.
- GREENLAND: The Offroad Trip [8:39] – A climbing adventure in Greenland.
- WIDE BOYZ: Spradventure | Trailer [1:53] – The (in)famous Wide Boyz head to the Czech Republic in search of heinous offwidths.
- The Time Is Now [8:33] – Adventure climber Mike Libecki and his brother head to Baffin Island to climb big, scary new routes.
People, Interviews, and Profiles
- For Adriano Trombetta at Planet Mountain
- Interview: Augmented Reality Climbing Games at Climbing
Gear, Reviews, etc.
- Winter 2017 OR – Apparel Report at The Alpine Start
- Crux AX 35 AX 45 Review at Climbing Gear Reviews
- Review: Our Top New Belay Devices for 2017 at Climbing
Comments are closed.