This Week in Climbing #59 (April 2, 2017)
Here’s all of the best and most interesting rock climbing stuff that happened over the last week. Enjoy, and happy climbing!
- Three Belgian climbers free 1200-meter route on Central Tower of Torres del Paine at Alpinist
- Alex Megos on the Mend and Sends Chile’s First 5.14d at Gripped (See also UK Climbing.)
- Patagonia: Franchini brothers climb new route on Cerro Penitentes at Planet Mountain
- Ryuichi Murai repeats Epitaph, ~8C at UK Climbing
- Ground zero, 9a, by Julia Chanourdie at UK Climbing (See also Planet Mountain.)
- Patxi Usobiaga returns to 9a+ climbing form at Planet Mountain
- Dave Macleod completes Lithium F8B+ at UK Climbing
- The BMC buys Crookrise at UK Climbing
- Voyager Sit Start for David Fitzgerald at UK Climbing
- Elder Statesman and a ground fall for Michele Caminati at UK Climbing
- Can You Decrease Fall Factor? at Rock and Ice
- Five Yoga Poses for Crack Climbing Performance at Moja Gear
- Jonathan Siegrist on Skin Care at Training Beta
- Free Climbing Tips: Why Get Stronger When You Can Get Better? at Rock and Ice
- Caffeine and Climbing at Climbing Nutrition
Other Climbing Articles
- Dirtbag Dwellings: Kim and Graham McGrenere of Victoria, Canada at Moja Gear
- Alone on a Wall at For the Love of Climbing
- Sasha DiGiulian Helps Design World’s First Rock Climbing Emoji at Moja Gear
- PHOTO GALLERY: 2017 Everyman’s Exposed Photo Contest at Rock and Ice
- John Long: What I’ve Learned at Rock and Ice
Destinations, Routes, and Trip Reports
- Climbing in the Verdon at Evening Sends
- Silence From The City: Bouldering In New York at The Project Magazine
Good New Climbing Videos
- The Hardest Rock Climb in Thailand [7:02] – Steve Townshend climbs Greed (5.14c), the hardest route in Thailand.
- Higher [1:48] – Ice climbing videos don’t usually excite me, but this short little vid is definitely worth watching.
- CHRIS SHARMA & POL ROCA IN CASTLE ROCK, CALIFORNIA [6:28] – Sharma and friend climb at the classic Bay Area bouldering destination Castle Rock.
- David Lama’s Life of Climbing | Cerro Torre- A Snowball’s Chance in Hell [9:14] – A video bio of Austrian climber David Lama.
- Treasure Island [11:09] – James Pearson and Caroline Ciavaldini head to a Japanese island for first ascents on seaside granite.
- HonnSolo 11 Free Soloing Airbag Pack [4:10] – Revolutionary new free solo protection from Black Diamond!
- Catalan Witness the Fitness [5:05] – Slovenian climber Jernej Kruder climbs Chris Sharma’s Catalan Witness the Fintess (8c/V15).
People, Interviews, and Profiles
- Big Wall Gear – an interview with John Middendorf at Vertical Life
- A Eulogy for Royal Robbins at Climbing
- Malcolm Smith on Training, His Legacy and Greatest Achievement at The Project Magazine
- 2016 Golden Pitons: Lifetime Achievement at Climbing
- Interview: Chris Sharma Talks Le Blond, Training, and 5.15d at Climbing
Gear, Reviews, etc.
- Salewa Firetail 3 Review at Splitter Choss
- Review: Deuter Gravity Haul 50 at The Climbing Zine
- Avalanche Gear for Ice Climbers at The Alpine Start
- How Many Falls Can A Rope Take? by Steph Davis