ANNOUNCEMENT: I’m going to start posting content more regularly to the blog here. In addition to the This Week in Climbing feature, I’ll post another climbing-related article or tip once or twice a week, or maybe even more. We’ll see. A lot of the time it’ll be just a paragraph or two of my own thoughts on a news item or a forum thread on Mountain Project.
If you’ve subscribed to This Week in Climbing, you’ll automatically get the other articles too.
Here’s all of the best and most interesting rock climbing stuff that happened over the last week. Enjoy, and happy climbing!
- Canadian Amanda Berezowski Sends Her First 5.14a at Gripped
- Quebec Sender Emilie Pellerin Sends Her First 5.14a at Gripped
- Ice Climbing Season Game On in Canadian Rockies at Gripped
- Canada Comps: Season 14 Tour de Bloc 2016/17 Schedule at Gripped
- New Rockies Ice Line is Big Game Hunter WI5+ at Gripped
- Ondra attempts onsight of the Nose at UK Climbing (See also Gripped.)
- Dave Graham repeats Creature from the Black lagoon, ~8C+/V16 at UK Climbing (See also Rock & Ice.)
- Michaela Kiersch Sends Lucifer (5.14c), Red River Gorge at Rock & Ice
- Joe Kinder Sends New 5.14d/15a Called Bone Tomahawk at Gripped (See also Rock & Ice.)
- Adam Ondra Continues Work on Dawn Wall Cruxes at Gripped (See also Planet Mountain.)
- Luka Lindic and Ines Papert Climb Often-Tried Kokshall-too Alpine at Gripped (See also UK Climbing.)
- Mick Fowler and Victor Saunders make first ascent of Sersank Peak’s north face at Alpinist (See also Planet Mountain.)
- Valery Rozov BASE jumps from 7700m off Cho Oyu at Planet Mountain
- Russians Climb New Thalay Sagar North Face Route at Gripped
- Nalle Hukkataival puts up Burden of Dreams ~9A/V17! at UK Climbing (See also Planet Mountain, Gripped, Rock & Ice, Climbing.)
- Alex Megos repeats The Becoming, 9a+ (5.15a) at UK Climbing
- Daniel Jung and Dai Koyamada Send Corona 5.15a in Frankenjura at Gripped
- Brenta Dolomites: new rock climb up Cima Tosa at Planet Mountain
- Black Pearl, new Riegler rock climb in Val Lunga, Dolomites at Planet Mountain
- Will Bosi climbs Hubble 9a at UK Climbing
- Sponsor Content: Simul-climbing with a Tibloc at Climbing
- Is Dropped Gear Still Safe? at Rock & Ice
- Steph Davis, Unpacked: From Desert Towers to Indian Creek Craggin’ at Rock & Ice (This article is basically Steph Davis’s packing lists for different adventures.)
- Learn This: Better Clipping and Extension Techniquesa to Climbing
- Belaying an XL – Tips for Lightweight Climbers at Rock & Ice
- In Defense of the European Death Knot at Climbing
- Learn to Climb Trad: A Complete Beginner’s Guide at Climbing
Other Climbing Articles
- 8 Climbing Artists You Should Know at Climbing
- The Sharing of The Rack at The Climbing Zine
- The alleged sandbag at For the Love of Climbing
- 10 Canadian Bouldering Gyms, Opened and Opening at Gripped
- 10 More Rad Canadian Bouldering Gyms at Gripped
- The Pleasure and Pain of the Climbing Life at The New York Times
Destinations and Routes
Good New Climbing Videos
- Solo’s And Mixed Climbing: Brette Harrington’s Reel Rock Epic | Climbing Daily Ep.798 [4:14] – Brette Harrington talks about hard free soloing and mixed climbing.
- As Long As Life Endures: A Climber Wedding [6:15] – If you’r egoing to get married, why not do it on one of the more iconic walls in the Sierra?
- Jeremy Fullerton crushes Don’t Get Too Greedy V13! [2:58] – Fullerton talks about his process of sending a hard V13 in Rocky Mountain National Park.
- Athlete’s Interview – Jain Kim [3:27] – Video interview (interspersed with climbing footage) of a top Korean competition climber.
- Denis Urubko story – part 1 [6:58] – This video is the first in a series profiling Denis Urubko, one of the best Himalayan climbers ever.
- This is Yorkshire N’All [19:43] – A great longer film about Yorkshire bouldering.
- A Weekend In Wales [9:55] – Beautiful footage of equally beautiful bouldering in Wales.
- Hayden Bove on The Doggfather (5.12b) [4:27] – A nice little film about a hard sport climb in Vermont.
Interviews and Profiles
- INTERVIEW: Claire Buhrfeind on Embracing Herself as a Strong Female Climber, Her Transition to College, and Climbing for Team Texas at Coffee. Tape. Climb.
- Climber Spotlight: Beth Rodden on Redpointing Tips, Training, and Nutrition at Moja Gear
- Nalle Hukkataival talks 9A at UK Climbing
- INTERVIEW: Nalle Hukkataival, the nature of climbing 9 at UK Climbing
- Chongo By The Power by Andy Kirkpatrick
Gear, Reviews, etc.
- None this week