This Week in Climbing #39 (October 23, 2016)
Here’s all of the best and most interesting rock climbing stuff that happened over the last week. Enjoy, and happy climbing!
- British First Ascents in South Georgia at UK Climbing
- British First Ascents in India at UK Climbing
- British alpinists climb a virgin north face to 7000-meter summit in Tibet at Alpinist
- Mick Fowler and Victor Saunders on Sersank at UK Climbing
- Silvio Reffo claims first free ascent of Horror Vacui on Monte Cimo at Planet Mountain
- Jeo, new rock climb in the Sella Dolomites at Planet Mountain
- Alexander Huber and Fabian Buhl free Sueños de Invierno on Naranjo de Bulnes at Planet Mountain
- Kaabah 8c+ by Jim Pope at UK Climbing
- Power Pact Cave at White Goods Collapses at UK Climbing
- Neil Gresham, 45, Establishes Sabotage (8c+/5.14c), Malham Cove at Rock & Ice (See also UK Climbing.)
- Women’s Climbing Symposium 2016: Report at UK Climbing
- Climbing The Old Man of Hoy with Multiple Sclerosis at UK Climbing
- 38 Years Ago Today: First Ascent of London’s Nelson’s Column at Gripped
- Rack on the Shoulder or Shoot from the Hip? at The American Alpine Institute Blog
- Is Soy Dangerous for Men? at Climbing Nutrition
- Unbelayvable: Saved by the Pro at Climbing
- Ropes, Feet and Cracks by Steph Davis
- Ask the Master: How To Escape Tricky Multi-pitch Situations at Rock & Ice
- Can Ropes and Slings Be Contaminated By Essential Oils? at Rock & Ice
- Advanced Techniques: Simul-Climbing and Short-Fixing at Climbing
- 4 Fingerboard Strength Protocols That Work at Training for Climbing
Other Climbing Articles
- Climbing is a young man’s game at For the Love of Climbing
- 5 Climbing Organizations You Should Care About at Moja Gear
- Winners of the Rock and Ice / Mammut Photo Contest 2016 at Rock & Ice
- TNB: Do the Right Thing at Rock & Ice
- Hate Crowds? You Are Crowds. at Semi-Rad
- A Crash Course in Confidence at Splitter Choss
- America’s 10 Best Climbing Gyms at Climbing
Destinations and Routes
- Tavolara, climbing on the Sardinian island shrouded in myth at Planet Mountain
- Dawn Wall (VI 5.14d) Topo at Rock & Ice
- The Fine Line of Bailing – 3rd Pillar of Nalumasortoq by Blake Herrington
Good New Climbing Videos
- Lifelist – Climbing in Australia with Katha Saurwein and Jorg Verhoeven [9:18] – A couple of strong climbs head to Australia to sample the best the country has to offer.
- Bhagirathi III , Impossible Star , Extreme Alpinism in the Garhwal Himalayas [4:23] – Six French climbers head to the Indian Himalaya.
- Five Ten 2016 | Will Stanhope – As a Guide [8:40] – Will Stanhope talks about Australian climbing adventures and, er, “guiding.”
- Adam Ondra climbing Change – World’s first 9b+ route [8:37] – Adam Ondra climbs the world’s first 5.15c (!).
- Chris Sharma… back in business! “Joe Mama” 9a+ [6:19] – Chris Sharma climbs a 5.15a in Spain.
- Ethan Pringle on Highball First Ascent of Old Greg (V11) Near Bishop [8:10] – Ethan Pringle climbs a super hard and super high problem near Bishop.
Interviews and Profiles
- Interview – Ben Abel at Vertical Life
- Aleš Česen and Luka Lindič: the Broad Peak and Gasherbrum IV North Summit interview at Planet Mountain
- Junko Tabei, First Woman to Summit Everest, Passes at 77 at Gripped
- Interview – Lucy Stirling at Vertical Life
Gear, Reviews, etc.
- Giddy Climbing Balm Review at The American Alpine Institute Blog
- Trango Concealed Carry Chalk Bag – Gear Review at Rock and Ice
- Precious Object: Adam Clay – Homemade Czech nut at Vertical Life
- Belay Glove Confession at The American Alpine Institute Blog